Last updated: April 2019
This policy applies to: Peace Brigades International UK Section (PBI UK), 1b Waterlow Road, London, N19 5NJ (UK Charity Number: 1101016). It does not apply to Peace Brigades International sister organisations around the world and their websites, or to our providers partners, whose privacy policies may differ.
This policy explains:
- What information we collect
- How your information is used
- Processing and transferring the data
- How we keep your information secure
- How you can access, correct or delete your data
- How you can opt out of receiving messages from PBI UK
1. What information we collect
We collect the information you give to us by email, via our website, over the telephone, face-to-face or by post. Some information is gathered when you make a donation or sign up to receive email updates. During these processes, you may be asked to provide your name, address, phone and email (plus payment method and bank details if you are joining or donating).
We may collect and process the following information about you:
Information that you give us: This is information about you that you give to us by filling in forms on our website (or other forms online and offline that we ask you to complete on Mailchimp, JustGiving, Eventbrite etc) or corresponding with us by telephone, post, email or otherwise. It may include, for example, your name, address, email address and telephone number, bank account information; information about your relationship with PBI UK (including your donation history and feedback you have provided to PBI UK); information about your professional role, background and interests.
Information that our website and other systems collect about you: If you visit our website it will automatically collect some information about you and your visit, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet and some other information such as your browser type and version and the pages on our site that you visit. Our website may also download “cookies” to your device.
If you exchange emails, telephone conversations or other electronic communications with our employees and volunteers, our information technology systems will record details of those conversations, sometimes including their content.
Other information: We may also collect some information from other sources. For example: If we have a business relationship with the organisation that you represent, your colleagues or other contacts may give us information about you such as your contact details or details of your role.
If you wish to make a donation under the Gift Aid scheme. Donors are asked to complete an online or hardcopy Gift Aid declaration form. We are required to store an auditable record of those donors -- full name, home address and details of the donation -- in order to process the Gift Aid donation. To make a Gift Aid repayment claim, we are required to share that data with the UK Government -- HMRC's Gift Aid service, Charities Online.
Cookies are small files that are downloaded onto your computer (or other electronic device) from websites that you visit. Cookies contain information that allows websites to collect statistical information about our user’s browsing actions and patterns while on our website.
All browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies stored on your advice, should you choose to do so. These settings are usually found under the ‘Preferences’ or ‘Tools’ menu of your browser. For more information about cookies, please see www.allaboutcookies.org.
2. How your information is used
PBI UK may use the information held about you in the following ways:
- to operate, manage, develop and promote our organisation, including managing and administering donations and other support actions. If you have made a donation and provided your address, we may also send you information about our campaigns in the post.
- to operate, administer and improve our website and premises and other aspects of the way in which we conduct our operations;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and bring and defend legal claims;
- if you have given your consent, to provide you with information about our news, events, volunteering opportunities, campaigns and fundraising;
- to analyse and better understand the composition and interests of our supporter base.
- If we plan to use personal data for a new purpose, PBI UK will update our privacy information and communicate the changes to individuals before starting any new processing.
3. Processing and transferring the data
PBI UK may disclose or process personal data, where necessary:
- For our legitimate interests (for example, to administer our websites, to manage our relationship with you, and to conduct campaigns in connection with our mission);
- To other staff members of PBI UK and other PBI entities;
- To service providers who host our website or other information technology systems (such as GreenNet or Comm-Tech) who hold or process your information on our behalf, under strict conditions of confidentiality and security;
- To comply with legal requirements (for example, to comply with applicable regulatory obligations and employment law and to make mandatory disclosures to law enforcement);If you are dealing with us within the European Economic Area/UK, you should be aware that this may include transfers to countries outside the EEA/UK which may have different data privacy laws. In cases where we transfer information to other sectors of PBI or our service providers, we will take all necessary precautions to ensure that our arrangements are governed by data transfer agreements. Please contact us (see below) if you would like to know if any such agreements are in place.
You may withdraw your consent at any time. Information on how to edit your preferences is specified in the “How you can access, correct or delete your data” part of this Policy. This will not affect the lawfulness of any processing that you consented to before your decision to withdrawal.
4. How we keep your information secure
Your personal information will be retained by PBI UK in a secure environment, will be kept confidential, and will only be used in connection with the purposes for which it is submitted. For example, personal information submitted for the purposes of making a donation will be used to process that donation. We take appropriate security measures to ensure that we keep your information secure, accurate and up to date, and that we only keep it for as long as is reasonable and necessary. For specific information about our record retention policies, please contact us (see below). The information you provide will not be sold or rented nor will it be shared with third parties. We also do everything in our power to protect your information offline, and only authorised personnel can view your data.
5. How you can access, correct or delete your data
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you, to correct that information or, in some circumstances, to object to our processing of your information, under data privacy law. If you wish to exercise any of these rights or have any questions about this policy, please contact:
Peace Brigades International UK
1b Waterlow Road
Tel/Fax: +44 (0)20 7281 5370
Or please e-mail us at: email@example.com.
6. How you can opt-out of receiving messages from PBI UK
You can unsubscribe from receiving emails from us at any time, using the unsubscribe function at the bottom of our email communications from Mailchimp. If you do not wish to receive communications you can also contact us directly asking us not to contact you in future using the contact details above. If you wish to make a complaint or think that there is a problem with the way PBI UK are handling your information, you can directly contact the UK's data protection authority, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/.